Wednesday, March 23, 2011

World Building - Intro

I find that story comes more easily when there is a well defined and established setting. This is easy when the setting is our own earth--all the rules are already established--however, when I want to move beyond or native world, I find I can get lost in conflicting ideas unless I preset the rules I want to use. My newest project (science-fiction) takes place off of earth, and so first I am going to develop the setting for "Layer" before I begin writing.

First things first, literal setting (places i will use), then culture and religion and other flesh to make the setting more real and believable. Over the next few posts I will try to posit how I create the world of Layer, and go about writing the stories within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment